2020 Indoor Archers Cup New Date
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the cancelling of other sports, including archery events, plus the closings of colleges, universities, public schools, private schools, and cancellation of other large gatherings, Ace Archers, Inc. has decided to cancel the 2020 Indoor Archer’s Cup.
We are very sorry to cancel the 2020 Indoor Archer’s Cup Tournament.
The reason we cancelled the tournament is COVID-19 and USA Archery’s new requirements for abuse prevention.
Obviously, the COVID-19 pandemic is the major reason we are cancelling the tournament.
But USA Archery has put in place extreme measures to attempt to ensure people are not abused. The measures are:
- All adult “Event Personnel” are required to a USA Archery Background Check. This is not a bad thing.
- All “Event Personnel” are required to take the 90 minute on-line US Center for Safe Sport “Safe Sport” course. The on-line course is free. The “Safe Sport” on-line course is not a bad thing.
- All athletes, coaches, instructors, volunteers, managers, judges, media personnel, etc. are “Event Personnel”. Anyone that enters the “athlete area” or “on the field of play” is an “Event Personnel”, or can enter the locker rooms or restrooms where athletes are permitted. Why do the athletes have to take the “Safe Sport” on-line course to compete? Why do the athletes have to have a USA Archery Background Check? How can a tournament director anticipate which media personnel are coming to the event? Does this imply that media personnel are by invitation only? And only if they have a USA Archery Background Check and “Safe Sport”?
- If an adult enters the Athlete Area to assist anyone, they are considered “Event Personnel” and must conform to the USA Archery Background Check and US Center for Safe Sport “Safe Sport” course. Why does a parent have to be a member of USA Archery, with a USA Archery Background Check, and take the US Center for Safe Sport “Safe Sport” on-line course to assist their child?
- The tournament director must send an email to all “Event Personnel” about the requirements for the USA Archery. Ok, not too hard, but stupid.
- The “Event Personnel” must ensure that they have a valid Background Check and have taken the US Center for Safe Sport “Safe Sport” course; and that the certifications of the Background Check and the “Safe Sport” course are valid for the duration of the event. This is difficult and time consuming.
- The tournament director must confirm that all “Event Personnel” have conformed to the requirements for the USA Archery Background Check and the US Center for Safe Sport “Safe Sport” course. This is difficult and time consuming.
- The tournament director must confirm that all athletes are permitted to attend the tournament. An athlete may have had a disciple action against them preventing their attendance of the tournament while still being a member of USA Archery. This is difficult and time consuming.
To verify that all the “Event Personnel” have a current USA Archery Background Check and are currently certified by the US Center for Safe Sport for the “Safe Sport” course the tournament director must access every person’s USA Archery account, access their certifications, and review the status of the USA Archery Background Check, the status of the US Center for Safe Sport “Safe Sport” course, and the athletes disciplinary status to review the three status for a “green light”. This takes 5-7 minutes to validate each person. For a tournament with 100 athletes, 12 volunteers/employees, 7 judges/director of shooting, and 14 coaches/instructors this takes 665 to 931 minutes. This is 13 to 16 hours of mind numbing work. Since this effort does not cover any parent that wishes to help their child with their equipment, drinks, food, emotional support, or to celebrate their success or to help them shoot better. You can see this quickly grows out of control.
The issue does not stop with “verifying.” After consulting with our lawyers, records will have to be kept of:
- Who the “Event Personnel” verification process was done for
- When the verification process was done
- Who did performed the verification
- Screen Shots of the “green lights” status items to provide evidence that the task was done correctly
The records will be needed if and when an abused person sues USA Archery, USOPC, Ace Archers, Inc., or the Insurance Companies of USA Archery, USOPC, or Ace Archers, Inc. Since there is no statute of limitations for abuse, these records will have to maintained forever.
All these actives do is shift the legal responsibility from the USOPC and USA Archery to the tournament director. All these activities do is shift the monetary liability from the insurers to the tournament director. Even when the tournament director performs all this work they will have to engage legal consul to protect themselves from the victim, USOPC, USA Archery, and their Insurance Companies.
As a child, I was raped. As a rape survivor, I can tell you, without a doubt, that a child abuser can take the US Center for Safe Sport “Safe Sport” on-line course and receive the certification and the unknown abuser can pass a USA Archery Background Check. These two items do nothing to protect the abused person. They only identify the known abuser. The rapist that attacked me was not a known rapist to my parents or myself. The rapist was known to local law enforcement but was not convicted. Therefore a USA Archery Background check may have flagged them if the local law enforcement put them in the system, and if the person was convicted.
The abusers we have to worry about are not the abusers that are known, but the majority of abusers that are unknown.
Since we cannot identify all the abusers, we need to protect our children and ourselves from abusers by active measures. Not by Background Checks that only flag convicted abusers. Not by a “Safe Sport” course that educates you on what abuse is, what are the earmarks of abuse, and your first reporter requirements. These are nice ideas that do not protect children or ourselves from abuse. We must actively protect our children and ourselves from abuse, not USA Archery and not the USOPC.
Head Coach and President of Ace Archers, Inc.